Monday, February 9, 2009

Am I the only one...

…who is obsessed with saving money these days? We used to eat out a lot, even though I do enjoy cooking. Now that we are eating at home a lot more (like many people), I have become obsessed with finding the cheapest way to shop for groceries. Well, I left the grocery store today, having spent the MOST money I have spent at the grocery store in a long time. The bill? $68.23. I don’t clip coupons. I'm just not good at it. I used to take the time to cut them out, and by the time I got around to needing what was on the coupon, it had expired. I know, some of you are really good at using coupons and can pay only $3 for 3 whole carts of groceries…but I am just not that organized and diligent. So, back to my grocery bill. Yes, $68.23. I bought 4 pounds of frozen chicken (we eat a lot of chicken, almost every meal), ham, turkey, and some beef tenderloins. I bought lots of fruit and veggies, including bell peppers, tomatoes, pineapple, limes, lemons, onions, avocados, strawberries, and corn. I also bought milk, eggs, sour cream, Monterrey Jack cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese, plus lots of other small things. OK, I completely understand that you really do not care what I am buying at the grocery store, but I am trying to get you to realize that I bought a LOT of stuff here. So, I know you are DYING to know my secret. But you have to promise to keep it a secret and not tell anyone else. How did I pay only $68.23 for all of these groceries? ALDI. It is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. Sad, I know, but true. Many of you are probably nodding your heads in agreement right now, because you are already an avid Aldi shopper. I had heard of it for years, but thought “Um, no. I’m not going there.” I don’t know why. I guess I thought they didn’t have everything the regular stores had, or that their stuff would not be fresh or whatever. But seriously, I would never, ever, ever go to another grocery store for my grocery shopping again. Unless, of course, Aldi does not have something I need, which doesn’t happen too often. SO, with everyone eating at home more and trying to feed their families for less money, I thought I would share my secret. But you really cannot tell anyone else. Just kidding, you can tell 2 people. But no more. Seriously, I don’t want to have to wait in long lines or go to another store because they are out of something I need. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment